As spring is right around the corner with warmer temperatures and longer days ahead, and the leaves will soon return to the trees, there is a plethora of reasons to get outside and moving. Mountainous Colorado and urban Denver offer a wide array of green space to walk, run, do yoga, bike, roller blade and breathe in some fresh air!
Here are a few ideas on how to develop an outdoor routine that is fun and piques your interest:
- Join an intramural sports league. These provide a social outlet and get you active with teammates.
- Join a running club or fitness group. Being part of a group effort makes moving more motivating and keeps it fun.
- Browse a farmers’ market or prepare a healthy picnic chockfull of fruits and veggies. Cardio health is more than just exercise; you must pair movement with healthy eating!
- Walking is a versatile way to be outside. Wondering the paths at parks offers scenic ways of experiencing the outdoors.
- You can also mix up and intensify your walks by adding some strengthening exercises along the way. Every few minutes stop and do a set of lunges, sit ups, push-ups or squats. Adding hills and increasing your speed at intervals also contributes to maximizing benefits from walking.
- How about some other ideas to get outside with the kids? Geocaching is a scavenger hunt type activity that is a creative way to get the family outside and exploring the natural environment!
- You can also take the family to wander around the Botanic Gardens or Denver Zoo especially when entry is free to various Denver venues.
If none of those ideas strike your fancy you can always garden, hike, paddle board, kayak or explore a new neighborhood. The most important thing is to go outside, get moving and enjoy yourself all for the benefit of your heart and overall physical, mental and emontional well-being.